blog image

blog image

Saturday 6 August 2011

Reflection Week 5

Every passing weeks marks new beginnings for me and definitely there is more knowledge to be swallowed and digested. Again this time I would like to restate that our hectic life seems to be endless. The busy schedule is well-blended with me and seems to be in an endless continuum. The semester is coming to its end, the exam is just around the corner and still there are tons of assignments that are yet to be done. Auspiciously, the assignments given for this week was not as tough as the previous. Personally I think that the previous assignment on Mini Research was the toughest in the list. For this week onwards, we were instructed to design a brochure (Assignment 6a) as well as a booklet (Assignment 6b) related to the topic that we have chosen for Assignment 1, 4 and 5. Fuh! At least it was not as tough as what we had for the previous week. So, there should be no problem for us to make it done in just a day or the most two days as we were again working in pairs.
The brochure to be planned, designed and created was to be done in Microsoft Publisher. For I have ever created few brochures using Microsoft Publisher before, I faced no obscurity to manage the task. Plus, I was assisted by my loyal working partner; Vanessa Cordilia, things got lighter. Within less than one hour, a simple, attractive and informative brochure has been produced by the two of us. The content of the brochure was roughly about the gist of what we have done for the previous assignments focusing on the topic Web 2.0.  
Without further ado, we proceeded to the next task that was to plan, design and create a booklet the moment we have done with our brochure. As what has been instructed, the booklet was to be created using book fold function in Microsoft Word. Perhaps, this task was a bit challenging than creating a brochure for I have zero experience in creating one before. So do my partner Vanessa. Not to make that as an excuse for us to delay the task, we seek assistance from peers and also Mr. Fariduddin, our lecturer. After a few moments of briefing and guidance, we managed to proceed with the booklet planning and designing independently. For the booklet, the content was actually more or less the same as what we had done in our brochure. It was just the amount of information to be included that distinguished it from brochure. Our booklet was just nice in length. It was not too long and not too short. It was just nice to be flipped through and read as well.
Not to be missed out sharing with all of you, before we proceeded with the given assignments, we were exposed to various kinds of applications available for graphic designed. First of all, we were introduced to the learning about 2D graphic types such as bitmap and vector images. Besides that, we were exposed to the various kinds of image file format. There were JPEG, GIFF, TIFF, BMP, PNG, WMF and etcetera. A few links were given by Dr. Siti Fatimah for further reading and exploration about all those applications. Not only that, we were asked to explore the drawing facilities such as shapes and SmartArt in Microsoft Powerpoint and to come up with graphic drawings which would be used later in our brochure and booklet design.
Graphics applications available are very interesting and fun to be explored. It might be trifles to some but for designers, graphics cherish their life of designing. And I would say that I am very lucky to be given chance to explore those things in hands on my own. Even though I am not an ICT-savvy person but I take all the obscurities in learning ICT as a challenge for me to get better. That is what we call the process of learning. No regrets of spending my time exploring for I could empower my knowledge and enhance my skills in ICT. Teachers should be versatile. Am I right?

*Happy reading* 

No comments:

Post a Comment